Waterloo Wellington Welcomes Refugees from Syria
*This page will be updated as new information becomes available.*
The Waterloo Wellington Local Health Integration Network has been working with our health service and community partners to coordinate services, capacity in the health system and develop a plan to ensure that we will be able support the health and social needs of all residents, including new ones.
Canada has committed to bringing 25,000 (both privately sponsored and government assisted) refugees to Canada by the end of February. Full medical screenings of these new residents will happen in Europe and they will be provided with ongoing care throughout their journey and after their arrival.
10,000 people will arrive in Canada by December 31, 2015, most of these privately sponsored who will quickly move to their permanent residences. The remaining 15,000 will arrive in Canada by the end of February 2016. All will arrive as permanent residents with Federal health coverage. We don’t yet know how many people will be coming to Waterloo Wellington but will share this information once it’s confirmed.
See what's going on in the region on Twitter #WRwelcomesrefugees
Find Out How You Can Help HERE
Information and Resources
Information for refugees and sponsors:
- To find a family doctor or primary care: 519-310-2222
- To find other health services (24/7 access with translation support): 1-866-286-4770
- To apply for Ontario Health Insurance Plan coverage in Kitchener Waterloo: please go in person to ServiceOntario 30 Duke Street West, 2nd Floor Kitchener
- To apply for Ontario Health Insurance Plan coverage in Guelph: please go in person to ServiceOntario 1 Stone Road West, Guelph
- Health Card Inquiry: 1-888-376-5197
Information for providers:
- For primary care providers who can take on new patients contact the Waterloo Wellington Local Health Integration Network: 519-650-4472 or
- For other health service providers (specialists, dental care, etc.) who wish to help call: 1-866-286-4770
- Register to Provide Refugee Care: Blue Cross Website or call 1-888-614-1880
- Confirm a patient’s coverage HERE
- Find information about the Interim Federal Health Program for Refugee Health Care HERE
- See an example of the Health Case Details form that will come with each new resident HERE
- The College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) Refugee Health Care Resource ENGLISH and FRENCH
Information from Minister Eric Hoskins