October 17, 2018
2018 Minister's Medal Awards Honouring Excellence in Health Quality and Safety
Robin Martin, Parliamentary Assistant to Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health and Long-Term Care, presented the 2018 Minister's Medals at the Health Quality Transformation conference.
"It was my pleasure to have handed out the prestigious awards on behalf of Deputy Premier and Minister of Health and Long-Term Care Christine Elliott," said Martin. "These awards demonstrate the incredible work being done across the province by our dedicated and engaged health care providers, patients and caregivers."
The Minister's Medals are awarded to:
- one team-based initiative that demonstrated commitment to collaboration, improvements in the health system and value for quality care;
- one individual who has demonstrated leadership in focusing on quality;
- and a patient advisor who enhanced patient engagement within their community.
Team Based Winner: Putting Patients at the Heart: A Seamless Journey for Cardiac Surgery Patients, Trillium Health Partners, Saint Elizabeth Health, Mississauga Halton LHIN
Individual Winner: Carmen Blais, Matawa Health Cooperative, North West LHIN
Individual Patient/Family Caregiver Winner: Alana Smith, Rose Cottage Visiting Volunteers, Hamilton Niagara Haldimand Brant LHIN
In addition to the medal winners, Ontario is recognizing six Honour Roll members for their exceptional work in delivering high-quality health care for patients and families.
"Through my own work in the health care sector as Patient Ombudsman, I have had a unique opportunity to see first-hand just how hard our health care system and health professionals work to care for Ontario's patients," said Minister Elliott. "My experiences have helped create a deep and abiding respect for these innovators."
"The tireless work that they do is helping to find ways to make our health care system thrive," continued Elliott. "The Minister's Medal winners and Honour Roll members are only some examples of the enduring effect that our health care professionals have on the quality of life for patients, seniors and families across Ontario. On behalf of Ontario's Government for the People, I'd like to thank all of the applicants, providers, patients, and caregivers across our province who work every day to make our health care system better."
- The Minister’s Medal honours excellence in health quality and safety and is a competitive, annual recognition program that celebrates the collaborative efforts of Ontario’s health care providers in improving care for people in the province.
- A record 116 applications were submitted for this year’s awards.
- Medal winners for each medal category were selected through reviews by the Local Health Integration Networks and an external advisory committee.
For public inquiries call ServiceOntario (Toll-free in Ontario only)